Just a reminder that the Toy Swap will be next Sat. (Feb. 20th) from 10:00 - 12:00 at the Lawrence Public Library. I cleaned out my kids' room yesterday and it felt fantastic!! So many things are going to the swap!
The guidelines are listed below. If you have any questions, please let Lauren or me know. Looking forward to seeing you next Sat.!
Listed below are the general guidelines for the event. Other consistent guidelines may be added before the swap event. Please keep in mind that we are having separate check-in and check-out times so plan on being there long enough to complete the process. Also, we obviously love kids (why else would we do this?) but strongly urge participants to attend this swap without theirs if possible.
Finally, we're still looking for volunteers so if you'd like to help, please let us know. Volunteers will be able to "shop" during the set-up/organize" time so bring your stuff and change it out for something new. As always, if you have any questions, please email. You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Lauren Reinhold at email@example.com. You can also check out our Facebook page at Eco-Parents Lawrence.
Toy/Book Swap Guidelines
10:00 to 11:00 - check-in.
11:00 to 11:15 - set-up/organize materials
11:15 to 12:00 - check out.
During the check-in time, we will count the number of items you bring and write that number on a slip of paper. That number will be your swap currency. You will also get a line number (issued in the order of check in) which will be used to allow participants to line up for check-out at 11:15. The line number will allow you to keep your place in line so that you can leave briefly, browse the library or return items to your car. After checking-in, please put your items on the designated tables and feel free to look at the information materials that have been set out. You will not be able to claim items or check out until 11:15. From 11:00 - 11:15 the volunteers will straighten/organize the materials and have an opportunity to begin shopping and claim their items. At 11:15, everyone will be able to shop and claim items and we will begin checking-out. When you are done you can simply bring your selected items to the check out (check in and out will be at separate doors). We'll verify that you are leaving with the same number of items you came with and you can go. If people would like to shop but don't have anything to swap, we will sell tickets for a nominal fee ($1.00 - 2.00, less for small books) All proceeds will be used to offset costs for the event and future Eco-Parents activities.
Here are the rest of the rules:
1. This is a one-to-one swap. In other words, if you bring in 3 items you can exchange them for three other items. If you bring in items but don't see anything you would like to take, you must still leave what you have brought. Participants may not return for items after the swap.
2. All items must be in CLEAN, usable condition – emphasis on clean. They don't have to be perfect but they do need to be in good enough condition to play with/read (no missing parts, missing covers/pages, etc.).
3. Books- Some items that are very small or have lesser value, such as small paperbacks, might not count as a "full" item. For instance, slim paperback books might count as 1/2 item . We all know that a hardcover Harry Potter book is worth much more than a freebie Scholastic book. This will be assessed as fairly as possible, but at the discretion of the volunteers.
4. We will only take kid’s toys, books, educational materials, and DVDs (in original case, no samples or freebies). No VHS tapes, strollers, or other baby gear. Also, no stuffed animals please. We MAY make exceptions for nicer Webkinz type toys but that will be assessed on a case by case basis.
5. All items left at the end of the day will be donated to an area community center, school, or other non-profit (Goodwill, etc.). You may not come back to retrieve old items.
6. Please also consider the following:
• This is not a childcare event: All kids must be supervised. If your child will find letting go of old toys too hard or if your child will be rambunctious in the "free toy" environment, please leave him /her at home.
• This is not a play event: make sure the toy works; then place it in your bag if you want it.
• If more than one kid or adult wants the same toy:
See if you have a toy you could trade for it. -
Try being kind and letting the other kid have it -
If all else fails, see a volunteer for help.
Thanks and happy swapping!!